3 WAYS TO HAVE A SMASHING GOOD TIME WITH SEAFOODby BETH GIBSON
Australians love seafood in summer; whether it’s piled on the table for Christmas lunch, or thrown onto a barbecue at the caravan park.
Seafood brings people together and, matched with a regional wine, cider or craft beer, can make quite the feast amongst friends.
The fishing ports in Apollo Bay and Portland are the only two on the Great Ocean Road that still bring a haul in straight from the Southern Ocean. So, if you love seafood, you’d better plan an extended stay.
Here are three ways to have a smashing good time with seafood along Victoria’s south coast:
1. From the boat to the barbecue
Support the fishing industry and head straight to the local fish market to choose your fresh scallops, crays or catch-of-the day. Throw it straight on the barbecue for a winning feast cooked in the great outdoors.
Here’s where to go:
2. Try a dish by Australia's best
Whether it’s a scallop pie on the run, a seafood platter to slowly indulge in, or a super fancy dish that will make your Instagram followers full of envy, you’ll find every possible option along the Great Ocean Road.
Here are some eateries to keep an eye out for on your travels:
- Apollo Bay Bakery (scallop pie)
- La Bimba, Apollo Bay
- Forage on the Foreshore, Port Campbell
- The Village Bakehouse, Port Fairy (scallop pie)
- The Wharf, Port Fairy (on the Moyne River)
- Merrijig Inn, Port Fairy (the oldest inn in Victoria!
3. Make it a festive affair
Most people enjoy the fresh, diverse offerings of a food festival, but any event dedicated to seafood is extra exciting!
It thrills the senses to try different seafoods cooked in a variety of ways by the region’s best chefs. Add local beverages and live music to the mix and you have a fantastic day out with friends.
Here are a few events to consider when planning your Great Ocean Road trip this summer:
- Crab Club, Lorne Hotel (Dec 27-30, 2019)
- Tyrendarra Beer Fest (Jan 4, 2020)
- Coda pop up restaurant at Lorne Hotel (Jan 7-10, 2020)
- Apollo Bay Seafood Festival (Feb 14-16, 2020)
Tag us on Instagram!